Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Welcome to ProjecTalk

There is more to having a successful IT team than simply knowing how to write source code.

Yet as I surf the Internet, the vast majority of discussion is how to write rock solid code using various techniques, technologies, and best practices.

But techniques, technologies and best practices are not constrained only to source code development. There are so many more roles in today’s IT environment, and it is my hope that we can use this space to discuss the fundamentals and intricacies of such work areas as:

  • Systems Architecture and the project identification process
  • Needs analysis and requirement gathering
  • Project scope control
  • Analysis and design
  • Integration, user, and post-implementation testing
  • Customer expectation management
  • Communication progress and status to project stakeholders
In short, we will focus on everything but the actual practice of writing code.

Over the last 20 plus years, I have held positions up and down the IT role ladder. So I will be sharing my thoughts and experiences. But I do not intend to simply tell you what I think.

Instead I am hoping I can inspire conversation and debate as we discuss these topics … but in a way uncommon to most IT environments – as calm, rational, professionals.

There are several blog sites I follow religiously – one sports blog in particular. And the lesson I have learned from observing these sites is that the while the authors of these blogs are knowledgeable in their writing, the real insight comes more often than not in the discussions and debates.

I will certainly do my best to keep the topics frequent, relevant, and my own insights as clear and concise as possible. I am also hoping that those of you that wish to participate as authors will send me a note.

I look forward to this new adventure. And I am really excited to meet those of you out there who share the same interest, and learn from your experiences and opinions.

As the same time, I will continue writing my essay’s on my original Head Stuffing site. Those stories, after all, is truly what I love to write.

No comments:

© 2010 Fred Brill - all rights reserved